Veterans Questions and Answers

Veterans FAQ

This FAQ provides answers to common questions regarding our benefits for veterans.

NO. You should apply for VA GI Bill Benefits as soon as you can because it takes a few months to get processed.

Full time is 12 credits/semester. However, for the summer semester, or for modules/semesters less than a standard length, determination of full-time is made by the VA, based on “rate of pursuit.”  The VA Certifying Official certifies the credit load and beginning and end dates of the summer semester courses (which have varying beginning and end dates) and the VA determines whether the student’s course load is full time, 3/4 time, 1/2 time or less than 1/2 time.  Questions about enrollment status in summer should be referred to the VA (1-888-442-4551).

YES. The exception to this is if you are in an approved non-credit short term course.

The KVCC Certifying Official (CO) informs the VA that you are attending classes. In order to be certified, you must be enrolled in a degree/certificate program and enrolled in courses that are required for that program. If you are new to KVCC, you must inform the CO that you have registered for courses.

NO. The state of Maine provides the College with a certificate of your eligibility to receive the waiver. The waiver only covers tuition and mandatory fees. The Waiver does not cover the College Health Insurance, or books. Students must pay for the College Health Insurance fee or waive it by providing proof of health insurance and filling out a waiver card at the Enrollment Services Center.

The Post 9/11 GI Bill covers tuition and mandatory fees, paid directly to the school, based on the percentage granted in your Certificate of Eligibility.  If you have health insurance, please fill out the insurance waiver card and present proof of insurance at the Enrollment Services Center as soon as possible before the beginning of the semester, so that we do not bill the VA for the health insurance fee and have to return the money later. The VA provides a book stipend to the student each semester, and a monthly housing stipend (BAH), while school is in session. BAH is pro-rated, based on the student's eligibility percentage and enrollment status. Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 7 credits for the entire semester to be eligible for BAH, and 12 credits to receive 100% BAH. For those enrolled solely in distance/online learning, the housing allowance payable is equal to 1/2 the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents.

Post 9/11 Benefits include a book stipend. Your book stipend is based on the number of credits in which you are enrolled, and is sent by the VA directly to you, the student. It is important to know that you will not receive your book allowance from the VA prior to starting classes. Therefore, we encourage you to apply for financial aid so that you can receive a book voucher at the KVCC bookstore to “charge” your books against your financial aid. If you take classes in the fall and spring and use the entire book allowance (total of $1,000) then there will be no book allowance in the summer semester. If you do not use the full amount, then the remaining money can be used for the summer semester if you take classes.

Meet with your counselor at Togus who will issue both yourself and the College a 1905 form for certification. The VA pays the College for your tuition, fees, books, and supplies. You are responsible for knowing what is on your bill and either paying for or waiving the College Health Insurance. Please let the VA Certifying Official know if you drop a course, withdraw from one or more courses, stop attending KVCC.  The VA Certifying Official must submit an amended certification to Togus.

YES. You need to change your major with both the College and the VA. "Change of Major" and "VA Change of Major" forms are available in the Enrollment Services Center. There are different forms to use for Veterans and Dependents of Veterans, so you need to make sure you pick up the correct VA form. VA forms need to be filled out and returned to the Veterans' Certifying Official in the Enrollment Services Center.

KVCC requires a 12 month Student Accident Insurance Plan for all matriculated students (students in a program). Students are automatically enrolled in the Accident-Only Insurance Plan1 and billed an annual premium of $30.00. This coverage is effective on August 15, 2017 and expires on August 15, 2018.  Please note that this Accident Insurance will not meet the requirements for health insurance under current federal guidelines.

The cost of this plan will be pro-rated for students who begin in January. The cost assessed will be $15.00.


Optional: Accident and Sickness Indemnity Insurance, Plan 2, is an additional plan that you may choose to purchase.  The cost of Plan 2 is $450.00 per policy year and offers indemnity benefits for eligible expenses resulting from a covered accident or sickness.  Plan 2 will not meet the requirements for health insurance under the current federal guidelines.

Brochures outlining the coverage details are available in the Enrollment Center and on the KVCC webpage as well as at Cross Insurance Agency's webpage at  If a student is interested in adding Plan 2, enrollment cards are available in the Enrollment Center and online at the Cross Insurance site.

The VA pays the student directly. You are responsible for making your own payments to the College. The College will not wait for you to receive a check from the VA; therefore, it is suggested that you start a payment plan (for more information, contact the Cashier’s Office), pay in full prior to the semester start, or apply for financial aid to cover your charges.

At KVCC, more than 2/3 of our matriculated students apply for financial aid to help them with their KVCC charges and other educationally-related expenses. Many students receiving veterans’ education benefits also qualify for federal student aid such as the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Work Study, and Federal Direct Loans. Receiving federal student aid does not impact the amount of benefits received from VA (though in some cases other private state, or National Guard scholarships can affect the amount of tuition reimbursement Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill) recipients receive from the VA).  We encourage you to consider applying for financial aid by completing a free application at For more information about financial aid programs at KVCC, please go to the Financial Aid Homepage.

All Post 9/11 GI Bill benefit payments are based on the amount of creditable active-duty service each veteran has since Sept. 10, 2001. If you are an active-duty, National Guard, Selected Reserve member, or a veteran who has served on active-duty for 90 or more days since Sept. 10, 2001, the following table applies:

Post 9/11 Service                                             % of Max Amount Payable

At least 36 cumulative months (Includes Entry Level or Skills Training time)


At least 30 continuous days on active duty and discharged due to service-connected disability (Includes Entry Level or Skills Training time)


At least 30 cumulative months (Includes Entry Level or Skills Training time)


At least 24 cumulative months (Cannot include Entry Level or Skills Training time)


At least 18 cumulative months (Cannot include Entry Level or Skills Training time)


At least 12 cumulative months (Cannot include Entry Level or Skills Training time)


At least 6 cumulative months (Cannot include Entry Level or Skills Training time)


90 aggregate days (Cannot include Entry Level or Skills Training time)




External Links