Veterans Getting Started

Veterans | Getting Started


1.  Learn about KVCC’s degree and certificate programs

2.  Submit the application for admission.

3.  Submit a copy of your high school transcript/diploma/GED, as well as any college/university and military training transcripts.

  • Requesting a military training transcript. 
  • The AARTS transcript is available to Army, Army National Guard, and US Army Reserve veterans and soldiers with an active service date of October 1, 1981 or later.
  • The SMART transcript is available to all active duty sailors and marines who separated after January 1,1999.
  • Veterans are encouraged to submit their military training transcripts to KVCC for evaluation.  The links for the various services are listed below:
  • Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard veterans may use the Joint Service Transcript (JST) system to request transcripts. 
  • Air Force veterans may go to to request a transcript.


4.  Complete the Accuplacer test if required to do so.            

5.  Apply for Financial Aid. Our FAFSA school code is 009826. You do not have to be full time to receive financial aid. (Although applying is optional, we encourage veterans to apply for financial aid because VA payments may be delayed for 2 months at the start of each semester due to processing delays beyond our control.)       

6.  Apply for VA education benefits.

  • Veterans: VA Form 22-1990
  • Dependents of Veterans: VA Form 22-5490


7.  Save and print a copy of your application for VA Benefit. and submit it to the Financial Aid Office OR e-mail the application as a document to

Dependents of disabled Veterans can apply for the State of Maine Tuition Waiver. Application/instructions are available at this website. Students need to print out the application and send required documentation to the state of Maine. 

8. Once you are accepted at KVCC, schedule a Student Orientation & Registration (SOAR) session to register for your classes.  

9.  Send to the Enrollment Services Center in the Frye Building, or e-mail to your Certificate of Eligibility. Notify Jill MacLean or Dr. Karleen Howard, VA Certifying Officials, that you have registered. If you have not yet received your Certificate of Eligibility, please submit a copy of your application for VA Benefits. Submit Certification Request form and copy of your advising worksheet.

10. Purchase books and materials and attend classes.


External Links