Transfer Information

Transfer Information

The process of transferring to a new college might seem overwhelming, but really it's just a simple matter of gathering the materials you need.  The information on this page will provide access to the information, people, and resources you need to transfer with ease.


"In Maine, community college tuition is so low that I genuinely can’t understand why any student doesn’t complete at least the first year at one. No matter where students attend college, their first year is generally spent completing general education requirements like English, math and science. It makes perfect financial sense to complete those courses at a community college for a fraction of the cost, and transfer them into a four-year college to complete a bachelor’s degree." - Carrie Hall, Humanities Instructor KVCC







Transfer FAQs

Transferring may seem complicated, but these frequently asked questions can help find the information you need and simplify the process.


When applying to a new school it's important to check their admission website to see if they have rolling admission (accept students throughout the year) or if they have specific deadlines.  Some schools have rolling admissions but certain programs at that school may have their own deadlines.  If no deadlines are given, then complete an application 1 to 2 semesters before you actually plan to start at your new school.

The Transfer Process Involves:

  • The Application - The first step to any transfer is to complete an application for the college or university you want to attend.  Most schools will give you the choice of a paper or electronic application.  Complete all parts of the application and always have someone proofread your essay if one is required.  Applications fees vary but typically range between $25 to $50.  If you plan to apply on-line you will most likely need to have access to an ATM or credit card.


  • Transcripts - Have official copies of all schools that you have attended sent to your new school, this includes all colleges attended, and your high school transcript or GED certificate (  Transcripts must be sent directly from the issuing school to your new school.


  • Financial Aid - Apply for financial aid by completing the FAFSA as soon as you can after January 1st.  Many 4-year schools have early deadlines for financial aid consideration.  If your FAFSA is already done, check to make sure you have listed all the schools you plan to apply to.


  • Letters of Recommendation - If your new school requires letters of recommendation as part of their application process, it's a good idea to ask at least one extra person for a recommendation.  People will have good intentions but sometimes they get distracted and you don't want you application to be held up by a missing reference.  Always give people a clear deadline of when you need their letter.


  • Immunizations - Check with your intended school to see if you will need to provide your immunization records before you are accepted.  Generally, you must provide them before you can register for or attend classes.  It's best to have them ready to send as soon as poswsible. 

Students wishing to transfer credits to KVCC must have an official copy of their transcript sent directly to the KVCC Admissions Office.  Once received the transcript will be evaluated for possible transfer credits.  Only courses with a grade of C or better will be considered for transfer.

To have your grades sent to another institution you must request that an official KVCC transcript be sent to that school.  Transcripts can be requested by contacting the Academic Affairs Office at 453-5822.  There is a fee for this service.

If you are transferring to a school in the University of Maine System, the easiest way to see if a course will transfer is to check the UMS Transfer Equivalency Guide.

Credits are always accepted at the discretion of the receiving school.  Talking with a transfer counselor from a 4-year school at one of KVCC's Transfer events is a great way to find out what classes will be accepted. Students have the opportunity to make individual appointments with representatives from various Maine schools to have their KVCC transcript evaluated several times during the academic year.

Teresa Smith, the Director of Advising & Enrollment Services, can help you create a plan to  maximize the number of credits that will transfer, and connect you with transfer officials at the school you plan to attend.  You can reach her at 453-5082 or via e-mail .

In most cases the answer to this question is YES.  However, the only way to know for sure is to apply for aid by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  Be sure to list all the schools you are applying to on your FAFSA.  IMPORTANT! - Many 4-year schools have early deadlines for financial aid consideration...ask about these and get your FAFSA done before the deadline or you could miss out on grants and scholarships.

If you transfer from a Maine community college before earning an associate degree or certificate, the credits you earn at your next school may make it possible for you to complete your community college credential. 

Fill out the MCCS and UMS reverse transfer participation and transcript request form to see if you qualify. Learn more about the MCCS and UMS reverse transfer partnership and get answers to frequently asked questions.


External Links